Thursday, April 12, 2007

Start Starting

Ok, you're probably not going to believe this, but, yes, even I suffer from procrastination. That's a real NEWS FLASH, isn't it?

Og Mandino starts out Scroll IX (9) of his book "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by stating:

My dreams are worthless, my plans are dust, my goals are impossible. All are of no value unless they are followed by action.

We all know that nothing gets done unless someone actually does something. Thinking about it doesn't make it so. Talking about it doesn't make it so. Planning out every single detail doesn't make it so. Or as Og puts it:

Never has there been a map however carefully executed to detail and scale which carried its owner over even one inch of ground. Never has there been a parchment of law however fair which prevented one crime.

So why is it that we know what we 'should' do, but don't do it. I think there are many, many reasons (ok, excuses) that we use from time to time. Which ones are your favorites?

  • I need to think it over some more.
  • It just doesn't feel like the right time.
  • I'm planning right now and will get to that later.
  • I still have to learn more before I'm able to get going on that.
  • I'm tired.
  • It's probably not worth it any way.

I'm sure you can think of many more. What does it all boil down to? Instead of trying to think of the words on my own, I'll let Og tell you (again from Scroll 9)...

My procrastination which has held me back was born of fear and now I recognize this secret mined from the depths of all courageous hearts. Now I know that to conquer fear I must always act without hesitation and the flutters in my heart will vanish. Now I know that action reduces the lion of terror to an ant of equanimity.

Procrastination is just the manifestation of your fears. The good news is that your fears are just a manifestation of your thoughts. You have control over the thoughts that you choose to think and dwell upon. If you, the CEO and Chairman of the Board of your mind, choose to think the thoughts that hold you back, you are choosing to procrastinate and live in the fear that is in your mind.

You have another choice! You can choose to think the opposite of the thought that is causing your fear. That's one good thing that I learned from Sesame Street... opposites. Ernie and Bert would teach me "hot / cold", and "big / small". Now I have added to that "fear" / "love".

I watched a show on TV about the Mohawk Indian Ironworkers - those awe-inspiring people who build skyscrapers. It was amazing!! The TV program showed how they would climb up the beams of bridges to the top of the structure and then jump between the supports just for fun.

Check out these pictures:

Do you want to know how these guys can do this and overcome their fear of heights? Here's what Kyle Karonhiaktatie Beauvais(Mohawk, Kahnawake) said:

A lot of people think Mohawks aren’t afraid of heights; that’s not true. We have as much fear as the next guy. The difference is that we deal with it better. We also have the experience of the old timers to follow and the responsibility to lead the younger guys. There’s pride in walking iron.

Dare I say, they love what they do! There is tremendous pride and honor in what they do. That love helps them overcome their fears. As Kyle said, they aren't without fear, they just handle it better. Those thoughts of fear exist, but they don't dwell on them. They focus on the love they have for what they do and what they build, not what could happen if they fail. Here's what I am going to try going forward. Maybe you could try these too...
  1. Conquer my thoughts of fear and focus on what I love about taking the action.
  2. Take the action because... Action cures fear!
  3. I will remember this quote from Og's scroll:
Only action determines my value in the market place and to multiply my value I will multiply my actions. I will walk where the failure fears to walk. I will work when the failure seeks rest. I will talk when the failure remains silent. I will call on ten who can buy my goods while the failure makes grand plans to call on one. I will say it is done before the failure says it is too late. I will act now. For now is all I have.

To find out more about the thoughts and fears that may be holding you back, click on the Free Assessment link below.

If you'd like a copy of Og's book, The Greatest Salesman in the World, click this link:

No comments: