Friday, February 02, 2007

The Great Pretender

Do you remember the #1 song by The Platters from 1956? Ok, maybe you remember the song from American Graffiti in 1973? It went like this...

Oh yes, I'm the Great Pretender, pretending that I'm doing well. My need is such, I pretend too much. I'm lonely, but no one can tell...

Do you ever feel like a pretender? an imposter? When I became a consultant and had to be the expert in front of my clients, I felt a little under-qualified. As I got promoted to management roles, I often expected to get an email from my boss, saying "Just kidding! Did you really think you were manager material?"

  • Have you ever felt like you didn't deserve the position or title that you were given?
  • Have you ever felt like you didn't deserve the spouse or partner that you have? That you don't really deserve the terrific kids that you have?
  • Did you ever think that this was all pretend and that someday you were going to wake up to a bleaker reality?

We all experience insecurities. From CEOs and Presidents to managers and parents. Sometimes we feel that we don't deserve the role that we're in. I'd like to put your mind at ease when dealing with others that may appear to be more successful or accomplished than you...

  • They weren't born at that level of success.
  • They, too, feel inadequate, overwhelmed and in over their heads.
  • They don't feel like they belong and/or deserve what they have achieved.

Knowing these important facts should put you on equal footing with those around you that you may perceive as being more successful. This should liberate you from feeling like a great pretender.

  • Be bold in marketing yourself and networking with people.
  • Know that your light is your gift to the world.
  • Don't hide it - someone needs you!

If you'd like to understand what thoughts are causing your feelings of insecurity or inadequacy, give me a call for our assessment. It goes beyond your personality to the level of your thought to show you what thoughts are supporting you and what thoughts are hindering you. (If you'd like a free taste test, click here.)

No comments: